Saturday, November 7, 2015

Ethics

My reading of March: Book One by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell, was wonderful and saddening. Often times the representation of what happened during the civil rights movement is washed down, and funneled into a narrow view. The civil rights movement is still seen as a separate entity, we have a month to celebrate its history, when really that is segregation with in itself. The concept of putting a whole history, a movement in just a month is wrong, its part of American history and shouldn’t be separate. So, to stop myself from going on a tirade, about the separation of people through social institution, race and eugenics. Let’s just talk about this wonderful graphic novel. That is really the start of a much bigger story.

March: Book One brings you in quickly to who John Lewis is, through his childhood in rural Alabama. This really made me have an immediate connection with him. Lewis’ love for his chickens was my love for my cows. I too hated the idea of them being eaten, and I often talked to them, but didn’t preach. But getting to see how his sense of humanity was sensitive at a young age allowed me to see his transition into his manhood clearer. I could see how he just wanted the world to look upon African Americans as equals as people to be equally loved. This connection really drives the story and keeps you wanting more out of his story. I want to know what happens next, where does he go, how did he get to where he is in present time? The story just reels you in and you see with in the eyes of the abused, a love for the world that would rather cast them out than let them in. I want more, and I will read more, I’m very excited and will continue my reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment